Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday's Gone...




So while you guys back in the states are in the turmoil of election day, I can say that I am sitting here at 10:18pm in Lilongwe, Malawi actually online to update the twitter accounts for all to see and this blog while you, on the other hand, are in the mayhem of the election. I do not envy you at all.

So a little bit about today. Things here have been absolutely rocking my face off. Today I got a lot of great opportunities to see the hand of God at work here in Malawi. This morning, I got to go into one of the schools in Kauma village, where the Adziwa project is located, and spend some time with the children. While there, we gave all the kids new book bags with paper, crayons, and some pencils for school. We ran out before we got them to the last class so a couple of our team went back to the lodge where we are staying and got more. While they were away, I got to sit in with some 1st grade students as they learned math. I actually got to grade their quiz, which was four simple addition problems. Each kid would come up to me, hand me their paper proudly and then kneel at my feet while I was sitting down and anxiously await their score. Each child had such a peaceful and joyous look in their eyes. Funny how we as Americans think that these African children will be all down and out because of their circumstances that they live in. The reality is this: this is the world they know and they find joy in the midst of it. Ouch...lessen to be learned for me. I get mad and frustrated when I can't stop and get starbucks because money is a bit tight. Wow.

Then I got to go on walk through Kauma and pray for a couple of the families that are part of the Adziwa project but not living on-site yet as they are waiting for their home to be built. All the families had about 3 kids of their own and would adopt 2-4 other aids orphans. Some of the families were single parent families. It was quite sobering. I was blown away by the need these people have for the simple things in life...food, clean water, basic medical care, adequate living conditions, etc.

So, now with tuesday gone, I close my thoughts for tonight. Here are a couple images from the last few days that I will leave you with.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

"I get mad and frustrated when I can't stop and get starbucks because money is a bit tight."

Stephen and I had that conversation last night. Ha! Guess I should count my blessings a little more.

watson said...

The pic of the tree, field and cloudy sky deserves to be on the cover of a mag! Well, actually they all do, but that one is really interesting...can't say exactly why, but it is!

Thinking of all the things that were prayed over you and yours at small group. Really asking God to give you his eyes and keep you well!

Laura